Login Register

Welcome New Members, Please Introduce Yourself

Posted March 05, 2015 05:47PM by Skye in the Cycling Forum

Skye
Skye Skye Nott
@TheStaminist   5880115

Welcome New Members!

We're getting lots of new members every month, so if you've been lurking and not sure where to join, scroll down and post a reply below. Tell us a little about yourself, your favourite cycling routes, events you've done or planning to do, ride and bike photos, gear, travel, general interests, etc.

If you want to jump right in, just click Start New Topic above.

Thanks,
Skye Nott
Webmaster

Webmaster - Staminist.com

slacker
slacker toboggan victorious
@komradepow   6151114

First!

I keep sane on this planet by seeking out movement and flow. When the roads and trails aren't covered in snow and ice, I take to road riding, singletrack mountain biking, and cyclocross. In the winter I hunt for powder, trees, and steeps with the skins, and I keep up my lycra fetish with nordic skiing.

No running for me, my knees can't handle the pavement pounding, though I also push it stamina–style on hike/jogs in the backcountry with lightweight footwear.

I'm training for Fondos and the like but my main limit appears not to be strength or endurance but biomechanical imbalances which cause some brutal back and neck pain. I've been working on that aspect for years now.

For those in the BC Sea-to-Sky, I ride regularly with the Whistler Cycling Club and WORCA.

— beatz: http://djtobias.com
— tweetz: @komradepow

Bikegeek Ray

Not much in here ;-{). Mountain biker here. I use RacerMate, ErgVideo, TrainerRoad and Zwift for indoor work.

Skye
Skye Skye Nott
@TheStaminist   5880115

Hi Ray, welcome

I haven't tried ErgVideo yet, $60 per video is pretty steep but the $2 intro is definitely on my to-try list. Although their info/FAQ pages aren't really clear if the software will work with my dumb trainer + power meter. It kind of seems like it won't.

I'm a big fan of the Sufferfest videos, have you tried those? I'm probably going to do the Tour of Sufferlandria virtual stage race again Feb 6-14, 2016. Clearly I've forgotten how much it hurt last year. The videos integrate flawlessly with TrainerRoad, apparently Sufferfest is working on their own app to be released soon.

Anyway it's sunny outside, so I'm going to finish adding the "Login with Facebook" feature to Staminist and go for a ride!

Bikegeek Ray

I do Beta testing for RacerMate and ErgVideo, so yes, I use them. I also use TrainerRoad and the Sufferfest video. Sufferlandria beckons....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2015 11:01AM by Bikegeek.

Leech Paul

Paul from Tasmania here. Not working anymore & pretty focused on cycling. Ride on my own a bit & with a couple of hard pace bunches. And just got onto Zwift... perfect as the weather turns to winter here in OZ.

Cheers

Paul

Attachments

KOM.jpg 45.1 KB open | download
KOM.jpg

Skye
Skye Skye Nott
@TheStaminist   5880115

Hi Paul, welcome! Just getting off Zwift here, the weather is finally improving. Do you participate in any of the Zwift group rides or races?

Looks like some great hilly roads down there for cycling. I spent a year in NZ a while back, wish I'd been more into road cycling at the time.

Looking forward to seeing what your local boy Richie Porte can do this year now that he's switched over to BMC!

Skye

Bikegeek Ray

What trainer are you using for Zwift?

Leech Paul

Thanks Skye. Yea had an epic 100km ride on Zwift this morning. Raining at the moment and not looking good ahead... no prob now I have Zwift. Incredible workout tool.

Go Richie. Tasmanian like me & BMC rider like me as well. Though I use my CAAD 10 on the trainer.

The trainer I use is the Wahoo Snap. I only just acquired it. I was all set to get the Kurt Kinetic but realised that I really wanted a smart trainer. Then by chance I found the Wahoo. I previously only knew of the super pricey Kickr. The Snap is still costly but less than the Kickr. When you consider the amount of use these devices can get, it's money well spent.

Ride on !!!

Skye
Skye Skye Nott
@TheStaminist   5880115

How are you liking the CAAD 10? I'd really like to give one a try, seems like a great choice for a training bike or criterium racer.

I'm a Kurt Kinetic RM user myself, can't see any need to upgrade at the moment. I might be missing out on some aspects of virtual riding beyond what can be replicated by changing gears on a progressive resistance curve, but on the other hand, it always "just works" with nothing to plug in or update or pair.

Skye

Shelley
Shelley Shelley R

Hello my name is Shelley. I bought a smart trainer so I can improve. I rode in the Law Enforcement United Road to Hope this year during National Police Week in honor of my son and my only child who was killed in the line of duty. He was an Oklahoma Highway Patrol. That 250 mile bike ride with so calling rolling hills were brutal, in fact where I come from in Oklahoma they were MOUNTAINS. Did my FTP test Sunday and today started a 6 week training to increase my FTP. Still learning. I have a question today was called Foundation and was fairly easy. I did a warm up and then of course I did 4 minute segments at a faster Watt then a 2 minute at a slower Watt, it is telling me to do cadence between 90-100 but if I start getting into the mid 70s it tells me to power down because my Watt are not what I am suppose to be doing. My FTP, sad to say is 84. I am a runner and have ran marathons, run half marathons all the time and 5Ks a lot but this bike is the hardest thing I have ever done. I know my training is based on my FTP test, so when I am training should I try to stay as close to my Watts or just ignore and keep my cadence between 90-100?

Also on my segments I noticed on some of them I got a full gold start and others just a partial what is that all about?

This 54 year old who has been a runner for 25 years and trying to add cycling in is hard. I am riding the LEU ride next year and my goal is to conquer those MOUNTAINS. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

If anyone would like to meet my son please go an like his Facebook page I am trying to get 7000 likes. His FB is OHP Trooper Nicholas Dees Delta 731.

I know all cyclist have big hearts or I would not have made it up those moutains I got pushed a lot but I did finish strong on that third day as we rode into Arlington cemetery.

I do love cycling and still love running so I am hooked and this smart trainer is awesome.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to learning all about Zwift and riding with you all

Shelley Russell

Bikegeek Ray

Welcome to world of cycling. For now I wouldn't worry so much about your FTP and just ride for a bit. I believe the stars you're talking about are for a workout on Zwift, no? I think I saw a post by you there as well. When you don't complete the interval "fully" you don't get all the stars.

This Saturday and Sunday there is an event for the World Social Riders club. It;s a no drop ride lasting an hour at a moderate pace. If you're on Strava you can find the club there.

Ray

Barb
Barb Barb S

HI, I"m new to this forum. I am a singer/songwriter/event producer with Emerald City Music Productions, Inc in Palatine, IL. I am also an avid bicyclist and am looking at purchasing a velo mobile hopefully soon. I bike into the season as long as the ground is safe enough to ride on.

I produce the annual Halloween Techno Zombie Geo Cache Hunt! and we have routes for bicycles and cars. I am interested in having bike riders in the scavenger hunt and to get their feedback on how it is so I can tweak it and make it more fun yet.
Post a reply, start a new topic, join the conversation!

Create Account

Login

Online Users