Login Register

Getting back into running

Posted April 07, 2015 03:08PM by Skye in the Running Forum

Skye
Skye Skye Nott
@TheStaminist   5880115

Went for my first run in a few years last night, felt really good. I've tried to get into running probably half a dozen times over the last few years, but I thinking I'm going out way too hard and too far, then I end up being sore for days and not really seeing any improvement because I'm too beat up to train regularly.

So, what are some good plans for a beginner to ramp up training? 5-6km seems like a pretty good distance for me to start. Maybe one of those "X minutes running, X minutes walk, repeat" plans would force me to slow down and not burn out. Or better by distance?

I really hate clock-watching while I exercise though, can running watches like the Ambit or Forerunner be set up to beep at you every X minutes?

Thanks for any tips/links

Skye

Webmaster - Staminist.com

Skye
Skye Skye Nott
@TheStaminist   5880115

I forgot how much DOMS sucks. That's one great thing about cycling, minimal soreness no matter how hard you ride!

slee Paul Sly

I've liked the training plans I've done from Hal Higdon:

http://www.halhigdon.com/

His training plans are well laid out, and he has good explanations for what pace you should be at on each run.

As for watches, just about anything should be able to give you interval timing. I know I started running with an Ironman, and it would even do different intervals (10/1) for only ~$40.

If you follow a reasonable plan, and run at a reasonable pace, the DOMS will decrease in intensity.

Skye
Skye Skye Nott
@TheStaminist   5880115

Thanks for the plans! Good to hear the DOMS will decrease.

Hmm I know I have an old Timex Ironman around here somewhere...

Skye

Skye
Skye Skye Nott
@TheStaminist   5880115

My Timex doesn't have an Interval mode, guess it's too old. Guess it's time to start looking at Craigslist and eBay again! This should help me find an old model that does what I need for a reasonable price....

http://www.gpscentral.ca/products/garmin/forerunnercomparison.htm

Never any shortage of hardly-used exercise gear for sale ;)

Skye

Skye
Skye Skye Nott
@TheStaminist   5880115

Actually, this looks even better... Timex Run Trainer GPS 2.0 - I like that you don't need any drivers, you can just plug in the USB and copy FIT files off of it like a thumb drive. Backlight looks good and menus look clean. The only downside is it doesn't show track or lat/lng so it can't do double duty as a hiking GPS but I guess that's why it's cheaper.

I don't mind carrying my phone in a back pocket for GPS when I'm on my bike, but I don't want to have to pack it around when I run.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/03/trainer-depth-review.html

The Forerunner 405/410 bezel sounds incredibly frustrating, and having to remember an ANT+ stick to sync wherever you go is a recipe for disaster. I guess that's why there's so many of them for sale for cheap.

Attachments

Timex Run Trainer GPS 2.jpg 40.2 KB open | download
Timex Run Trainer GPS 2.jpg
Post a reply, start a new topic, join the conversation!

Create Account

Login

Online Users