Login Register

Which is faster: Hardtail, Mid Travel, or Long Travel?

Posted April 01, 2015 09:05PM by Skye in the Cycling Forum

Skye
Skye Skye Nott
@TheStaminist   5880115

This video is really interesting because it replicates exactly the kind of terrain I ride (and want to ride more of), a mix of ups, undulating trails, and some downhill but none of the sections super technical.

"Which bike is the fastest; an XC racing hardtail 29er? A mid-travel full suspension trail bike? Or a long travel full-suspension? We set a course, grabbed our stopwatch and found out..."

Looks like a remote lockout and maybe a remote dropper would make a mid-travel a really good all-rounder trail bike.
That Scott Genius looks pretty boss....

Webmaster - Staminist.com

Attachments

preview.jpg 66.1 KB open | download

Skye
Skye Skye Nott
@TheStaminist   5880115

As a MTB newbie this video was also very interesting. The number of options when it comes to mountain bikes is kind of bewildering at first until you understand what the major riding styles are, and how a particular model is either specialized to a particular style or is designed to cover multiple uses. Of course the more general purpose a bike is, the more compromises they have to make with the design, so it won't be as good at any specific use than something that is specialized to the task.

Being someone that enjoys going uphill as well as downhill it seems like an XC bike would be right for me, but on the other hand, since I'm doing MTB for fun and exercise when I'm not on the road bike and not intending to race, maybe I'll enjoy a longer travel bike for cornering and drops. I'll have to recce some trails and see what gets my blood pumping. Like the video says, it also depends on who you're going to be riding with.

Webmaster - Staminist.com
Post a reply, start a new topic, join the conversation!

Create Account

Login

Online Users