Top tips from Team Sky pro cyclist Geraint Thomas on improving before your next sportive, fondo, or race...
1. Ride often. Multiple short rides during the week are better than one long ride on the weekend.
2. Commitment is more important than motivation, which varies from day to day. Make a realistic plan and stick to it.
3. Intervals. They hurt but they are very time efficient, quality workouts that get results.
4. Watch your diet, eat quality slow release foods, and don't overdo it on the recovery meals.
5. Learn to pace your efforts. It's easy to get carried away in a competitive ride.
6. Spin a lower gear on climbs. It's more efficient.
7. Keep making small improvements in all areas. Team Sky is famous for their "marginal gains" program, it all adds up.
8. Avoid getting sick. Take care of yourself when you feel your immune system is depressed.
9. Work on your mental game. Are your limits really physical? Break down a big effort into smaller pieces.
10. "Just get out there and ride." Don't over-think your training or get too wrapped up in data and tech.d