Login Login with Facebook Register

The tide of fitness, people and their needs is changing again!

Posted December 08, 2015 07:08PM by Danthefitman in the Other Sports

Danthefitman
Danthefitman Dan Höering

I've been a fitness coach for a long, long time. No this isn't a Star Wars intro... And I've observed a shift again, the needs of people and their fitness needs and wants, and how they simply seem way less interested in coaching.

In simple terms, people want to do it themselves, versus pay for a service or hire a coach. With the advent of Smartphone Apps, YouTube how-to video's and the like - person to person contact is becoming less and less.

What you are your thoughts about this topic? Thanks in advance for your input.

Coach Dan

ps: I had to attach a photo of my MGB, Skye - Merry Christmas to you!

Dan Höering
dan@fitnessintraining.com
the body is a temple, not a warehouse

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2015 08:38PM by Skye.

Attachments

Dan's 79 B.jpg 49.4 KB open | download
Dan's 79 B.jpg

Skye
Skye Skye Nott
@TheStaminist   Skye Nott Staminist.com

Hi Dan, welcome to the new forums!

I can definitely see how all the fitness tracking devices and mobile/web apps are taking a bite out of traditional fitness coaching. That is to say, that one coach can now design a fitness plan in software that serves hundreds if not thousands of people. People are happy to pay $10/month or whatever for access to, for example, TrainingPeaks which not only plots your training progression via power data and build plans, but can also provides a coaching interface where a coach can monitor and direct the training of many athletes from anywhere with an Internet connection.

Speaking personally, I definitely search the web and YouTube when I have a question. On the one hand, there is no guarantee that information you will get on the web is correct, but then again, there are a lot of coaches that aren't up to date on the latest research and "best practices" either.

I've never used or consulted a coach myself, but I've never been involved in any sport that I'd consider serious enough to need one. Definitely at the semi-pro and pro level coaches are needed, but those positions are very hard to come by and require a lot of experience and credentials.

From what I've seen at the gym, there's no shortage of people that have no idea what they are doing with gym equipment. They probably aren't willing to pay to learn though - maybe if it was a free service attached to their gym membership. There's no substitute for having someone check your form in person.

Webmaster - Staminist.com

Danthefitman
Danthefitman Dan Höering

Hey Skye, In general people are simply unaware that they're unaware. With the proliferation of information as I referenced, people simply don't want to be coached, although there are exceptions certainly. As the USA gets fatter and fatter, people get less inclined to want help because they believe they're too far gone. Earlier this week, I drove home a different way, I went right past a Taco Bell. The line of cars was all the way out the parking lot, into another parking lot to the drive through that greasy joint.

Starbucks is the same thing; garbage over priced food and drink and people going there in the throngs.

People think they know what they're doing because the information-age predicates they think that because they're reading updated information with the latest and greatest on fitness and nutrition they can in fact do it without any guidance or interpretation of what it is they're setting out to do; workout. It is mostly ready, fire - aim approach. They miss every every, time.

Dan Höering
dan@fitnessintraining.com
the body is a temple, not a warehouse

Skye
Skye Skye Nott
@TheStaminist   Skye Nott Staminist.com

I think it's partly because the people that the public generally sees exercising and extolling the virtues of fitness are doing WAY more that what they need to get the majority of health benefits from an "active lifestyle" and it's frankly intimidating. They don't see how they can get from where they are, to some ripped 5% body fat person selling some fitness gizmo or diet plan on TV, so they don't bother starting.

More people need to watch this video! You only need 30 minutes of moderate physical activity 5 times per week to feel much better and live longer. That can be a brisk walk to work, or from work to your lunch spot. Taking the stairs, or walking to to the store. Cycling around 15 kph. Anything that raises your heart rate a bit. You don't have to be a panting, sweaty mess. Even doing chores or washing and waxing your car!

Or, if you don't have time for half an hour a day (many people don't have the option of walking to work, unfortunately), you can get the same benefits by doing just 25 minutes of vigorous aerobic activity 3 days per week plus two days of weights. Anyone can find the time for that.

Webmaster - Staminist.com
Post a reply, start a new topic, join the conversation!

Create Account

Login   or   Login with Facebook