Login Register

New Powertap pedals & chainring power meters

Posted March 17, 2015 01:24PM by Skye in the Cycling Forum

Skye
Skye Skye Nott
@TheStaminist   5880115

They've been hinting at these new products for a while, always good to have more options.

The new Powertap P1 Power Meter Pedals are directly aimed at the Garmin Vector, too bad they don't come in a single-side configuration with the option to upgrade later like the Vector S and Precision. On the plus side, no hanging pods to calibrate installation angles as the P1s are completely self contained. Interesting that they went for AAA power. Dual ANT+ and Bluetooth which should make them future proof. 8 strain gauges per pedal so should have lots of power metrics available. 398g per pair is a bit chunky. Available late Spring 2015 priced at $1,200 for the pair - I thought with Stages and 4iiii products on the market, prices would be coming down a bit quicker.

The Powertap C1 Chainring Power Meter comes with the rings, but without cranks so you supply your own 5-bolt 110 BCD. Ring sizes to be offered include 50/36, 52/36, and 53/39 made by FSA. Runs on a CR2032 battery, available Summer 2015 for $700 which is a bit more in my price range...

More info:

http://www.powertap.com/blogs/news/17516433-powertap-solidifies-leadership-with-multiple-power-measurement-platforms

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/03/powertap-announces-pedals-and-chainring.html

Webmaster - Staminist.com

Attachments

PowerTap-P1-Pedals-power-meter.jpg 13.2 KB open | download
PowerTap-P1-Pedals-power-meter.jpg
PowerTap-C1-chainring-power-meter.jpg 17.6 KB open | download
PowerTap-C1-chainring-power-meter.jpg

Skye
Skye Skye Nott
@TheStaminist   5880115

Looks like Garmin has reduced the price of the Vector 2 pedals ($1,300 dual, $700 single side) in response to the PowerTap P1 pedals coming to market ($1,200 dual side)... hooray for some competition!

Really tempted to get some power meter pedals, so I can actualkt use my nice alloy wheels. The G3 hub is great (reliable, consistent, no brainer to set up) but it's such a pain having to use whatever wheel it's laced to. I suppose I could get a better wheel built up around it, but I'd still end up with a mismatched set (boo hoo I know)

Webmaster - Staminist.com
Post a reply, start a new topic, join the conversation!

Create Account

Login

Online Users