Login Register

Identify these ski bindings?

Posted November 18, 2017 03:20PM by Theresa in the XC Skiing Forum

Theresa
Theresa Theresa S

I know nothing about cross country skiing, only that I'm interested in trying it. I was given a set of cross country skis with this binding on it. Can anyone help me identify it? I've been doing some searching, but am not sure what I'm looking for and haven't found anything like it yet. These bindings are n Rossignol Advantage ar skis. Any help would be appreciated. Hopefully this forum gets enough traffic that someone will be able to help.

Thanks, Theresa

Attachments

20171118_161310.jpg 39.3 KB open | download
20171118_161310.jpg

Skye
Skye Skye Nott
@TheStaminist   5880115

Hi Theresa, I've never seen anything like those bindings before!

It's possible they are compatible with the "old style" SNS boot with the bar that sticks out the front (photo attached)? It's not clear from the picture how the binding mechanism opens and closes, but the plastic space between the boot and the mechanism is odd.

Do you have the matching boots? A photo of the bottom of the boots may be helpful. I've attached some of the common boot systems.

If you don't have the boots, you'd probably be better off getting the bindings changed to a modern nordic system like NNN or SNS Profil as you'll probably have a heck of a time finding any gear to go with it.

Skye

Webmaster - Staminist.com

Attachments

nordic-boot-soles-e1419714550157.jpg 30.8 KB open | download
nordic-boot-soles-e1419714550157.jpg
Old-sns-bottom.jpg 35.3 KB open | download
Old-sns-bottom.jpg

Theresa
Theresa Theresa S

Thanks for your response. I do not have the boots that attach. Just the skis, unfortunately. It appears to me that it's some kind of T-Bar or something, but I haven't seen anything like it in my searching on the internet. I've seen both of those pictures you posted and it doesn't appear to me that any of those would work. I haven't had a chance yet, but intend on going into a local sporting goods shop to see about maybe getting new bindings.

oleS tim

I believe them to be LOOK style bindings. They were from the mid to late 80's. No recent boots will fit them. LOOK got into nordic skiing for only a few years unfortunately.

Skye
Skye Skye Nott
@TheStaminist   5880115

oleS
I believe them to be LOOK style bindings. They were from the mid to late 80's. No recent boots will fit them. LOOK got into nordic skiing for only a few years unfortunately.

Thanks, learn something new every day! LOOK basically invented the clipless pedal system in use by all road cyclists today, it would make sense they would try to get into the nordic market as well. I think they started with downhill bindings, looks like they're still making those.

Skye

Ken
Ken Ken C

The picture of the old SNS boot is the one that fits that binding. I found some cheap boots at a thrift store with the wire way out in front and the single groove down the middle. This is an early binding and it will be hard to find a boot to match it. Three used ski equipment places said they almost never get that type of binding in the store. The modern bindings have an easier time to step into, but the old one works ok. Mine has a vertical bar that the wire fits over and it wedges in with the clip going horizontal to retract.

Skye
Skye Skye Nott
@TheStaminist   5880115

I find if you're buying older bindings (or any other equipment really) it's a good idea to get matched sets of any kind of gear that has to interface together for exactly this reason....

Ken
The picture of the old SNS boot is the one that fits that binding. I found some cheap boots at a thrift store with the wire way out in front and the single groove down the middle. This is an early binding and it will be hard to find a boot to match it. Three used ski equipment places said they almost never get that type of binding in the store. The modern bindings have an easier time to step into, but the old one works ok. Mine has a vertical bar that the wire fits over and it wedges in with the clip going horizontal to retract.

Leona
Leona Leona B

These are the type of boot for your Look bindings - they are no longer available and any you might find online will likely fall apart from old age!

Attachments

A6EEDC87-5CC2-4364-AF16-4145B4E0C939.jpeg 12.6 KB open | download
A6EEDC87-5CC2-4364-AF16-4145B4E0C939.jpeg
Post a reply, start a new topic, join the conversation!

Create Account

Login

Online Users