Login Register

Increasing your pain tolerance

Posted April 06, 2015 04:55PM by Skye in the Triathlon Forum

Skye
Skye Skye Nott
@TheStaminist   5880115

Published in the European Journal of Applied Physiology, researchers tested a group of cyclists doing sprint intervals with a placebo or a small dose of of acetaminophen. They then monitored their power output and heart rate during each sprint, and the group that took acetaminophen had a significantly greater power output. The conclusion? The findings "support the notion that exercise is regulated by pain perception, and increased pain tolerance can improve exercise capacity."

Perception is the key word here, and you can train yourself to have a higher pain threshold, by scheduling practice races, high intensity interval training, and recovery to build up your mental toughness reserves.

NSAIDs should only be used when necessary! See this related topic: Taking ibuprofen before running

"Athletes who'd popped ibuprofen pills before and during an event displayed significantly more inflammation and other markers of high immune system response afterward than those who hadn't taken anti-inflammatories. Even though the long term effects are unknown at this time, it is hard to believe that this activation is without potential to cause harm. "

How do you manage the suffering that is so crucial to competing and training? Share your mind game tips below

Read more: http://triathlon.competitor.com/2015/03/training/want-to-increase-your-pain-tolerance_114132

Webmaster - Staminist.com

Attachments

triathlon cycling 2642246332_56be9c2578_z.jpg 42.2 KB open | download
triathlon cycling 2642246332_56be9c2578_z.jpg

Skye
Skye Skye Nott
@TheStaminist   5880115

Spending a lot of time on the stationary trainer bike this winter, and I'm learning one key to tolerating discomfort is negotiation.

"Just 30 more seconds..." then
"OK now you're halfway done this interval, good job, keep going" then
"You're over half done the intervals! You can't stop now!" etc

Just like when you're out on the road and you keep fighting to hold your target power/pace until the next corner, or telephone pole, or sign, or whatever.

Breaking it down into smaller chunks to trick your brain seems to be key

David2
David2 David J

Hi!
The reverse of cellular and cardiovascular aging from using transdermal CO2 therapy can be detected, quantified and measured with advanced diagnostics such as heart rate variability (HRV) or autonomic nervous system (ANS) diagnostics and others-including pain scales (Numerical, i.e.)-have you heard of deoxyhemoglobin vasodilator?

Skye
Skye Skye Nott
@TheStaminist   5880115

Interesting, might be something to look into. A quick search turned up the following article

Transdermal CO2 application in chronic wounds

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15866797

"There was clinical evidence of improvement of granulation and reduction of discharge and malodor within 1 week of treatment in both chronic and acute wounds. Only 9 patients, all diabetics, needed an additional systemic antibiosis. The treatment was well tolerated. No adverse effects have been noted."

Anything that would heal up road rash faster would be great!

I'm not sure if any of this is particularly applicable to pain perception in endurance athletes, though (which is what this topic is about)

Skye

David2
David2 David J

Woundcare has the most visible effect (and Spider Veins) because patients don't feel anything while being administered deoxyhemoglobin vasodilator. Because it increases your blood flow immediately, I started using it to literally recover from a car accident I was in. I use it for pain, recovery/sleep and energy. Imagine a hyperbaric chamber but way more focused and portable and affordable....athletes are totally catching on to this because of the science behind improving your microcirculation; profound because it affects everything...check out the 30 second YouTube videos on D'Oxyva

Kimberly
Kimberly Kimberly B

Hello, I've just come across this. I use microcirculation therapy called deoxyhemoglobin vasodilator. Used it to improve my endurance when i run and for my workout (although I dread working out lol). Noticed significant changes and also, my skin seems... better.
Post a reply, start a new topic, join the conversation!

Create Account

Login

Online Users