Login Register

Taiwan KOM Challenge

Posted October 29, 2015 05:10PM by Skye in the Cycling Forum

Skye
Skye Skye Nott
@TheStaminist   5880115

The Taiwan KOM Challenge is an annual event held in late October or early November. The route is only 88km in length, but climbs the whole time through scenic Taroko Gorge on Taiwan's rugged East Coast - over 3000 meters vertical gain in total, with the final 8 km averaging 17% and maxing out at a leg-destroying 27%. Crazy - sounds like fun.

Caja Rural's Vuelta KOM winning Omar Fraille is competing this year, with lots of other regional pros and local heros. I've been up the Taroko Gorge road in a car and it's pretty wild as you can see in the video:

Last year Hans Rey did it on a mountain bike, just because he's a bloody legend:

I've been to Taiwan a couple of times and really like it, I think it's kind of an undiscovered gem. They've really been promoting it as a cycling destination lately and I can't wait to take my bike over there soon. Taiwan Cycling Routes & Information

Check out the current Strava segment record holder's ride below:

[strava]https://www.strava.com/activities/27412320[/strava]

Webmaster - Staminist.com

Attachments

Taiwan KOM Challenge Route Strava.jpg 56.3 KB open | download

Skye
Skye Skye Nott
@TheStaminist   5880115

The latest update for the 2016 Taiwan KOM Challenge - training rides scheduled for April 18, 2016 and July 9, 2016

2016 KOM登山王之路,將會舉辦兩場,頭一場的日期訂於4/18,也就是環花東365km挑戰活動後隔天!簡章已經公布,預計於下周開始報名,歡迎有興趣體驗KOM路線的車友來自我挑戰!Experiencing the Taiwan KOM route? The "2016 The Road to Taiwan KOM" will be held in spring(4/18) and in summer(7/9), respectively. The spring event information is now released with registration being started by next week. Welcome to challenge yourself...in a soft way compared with the October's KOM challenge!

詳情請參閱伊貝特報名網For event information please visit:https://bao-ming.com/eb/www/activity_content.php?activitysn=1350

How about a no-pressure riding experience on the world famous “Taiwan KOM Challenge” route?

As the “Taiwan KOM Challenge” has become so well known by cyclists worldwide, many dream of riding the same road as the professionals and elite amateurs but feel daunted by the prospect of having to compete with these experienced riders and fear they will be unable to make the time cut of six hours.
And so, we present “The Road to Taiwan KOM”. Come experience the amazing beauty of Taroko Gorge and Hehuan San, and the awe-inspiring sense of achievement of riding up the very same route as the Taiwan KOM Challenge, and take anything up to 9 hours on a fully supported ride to do it.

From 2016, “The Road to Taiwan KOM” will be two times a year, Spring and Summer time. “2016 The Road to Taiwan KOM - Spring”, held on April 18th, gives you the opportunity to take the “Taiwan KOM Challenge” at your own pace, and to take home the incredible experience of riding the route of one of the hardest bike race of the world. The Road to Taiwan KOM 2016 - Spring: the journey of a lifetime!

Route: Hualien Qixingtan → Taroko Bridge → Taiwan No.8 Highway → TianXiang → XinBaiYang → BiLu Sacred Tree → GuanYuan → DaYuLing → Taiwan No.14A Highway → HeHuan mountain / WuLing

Total Distance: 105km Altitude Rise: 3275m

Webmaster - Staminist.com

Attachments

Road to Taiwan KOM 2016.jpg 69.7 KB open | download
Road to Taiwan KOM 2016.jpg
Post a reply, start a new topic, join the conversation!

Create Account

Login

Online Users