Local dopes
News Road

Skye
Skye Skye Nott
@TheStaminist   5880115

What the heck is wrong with people??

The Guardian: Middle-aged businessmen are winning amateur cycling races on EPO

"Doping in amateur cycling is becoming endemic" says report

... disturbing developments lower down the competitive ladder ... which stated its belief that doping was increasing among under-23s and in teams below WorldTour, and that “doping in amateur cycling is becoming endemic. This was confirmed by riders, professionals, managers and anti-doping personnel”. The report also raised concerns about doping in over-40s racing, stating that: “Masters races were said to have middle-aged businessmen winning on EPO, with some of them training as hard as professional riders and putting in comparable performances.”

This is borne out by test results in recent years, which include a third-category French amateur who tested positive for 12 substances, mainly steroids and corticoids, the most ever found in a single sample.

Is it just the availability of these drugs that is making doping so much more widespread or something else about a change of attitudes or society in general? I find it very strange that someone would take these kinds of risks just to be a "local hero". Then again, a lot of Strava KOMs in my city are held by a rider that is currently serving a 2-year ban for evading a drug test after a local crit...

Skye

Webmaster - Staminist.com

Skye
Skye Skye Nott
@TheStaminist   5880115

I guess I should read the whole CIRC report sometime, it seems to be getting people pretty riled up

https://staminist.com/doc/CIRC_Report_2015.pdf

I noticed David Millar in particular has had some choice words on Twitter

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/mar/09/david-millar-uci-report-doping-lost-hearts-minds

Skye
Skye Skye Nott
@TheStaminist   5880115

Oh for crying out loud...

Age-group cyclist fails doping test at LAMBRA championships

Todd Hickman, of Byhalia, Mississippi, tested positive for stanozolol and methylphenidate at the Louisiana-Mississippi (LAMBRA) Age-Graded Road Championships, held September 6 in St. Francisville, Louisiana.

Hickman, 49, won the 66-mile championship race out of a field of 10 riders in the 40+ age group. He has accepted a four-year ban for the doping offense.

According to a U.S. Anti-Doping Agency statement, Stanozolol is a substance in the class of anabolic agents, and methylphenidate is a substance in the class of stimulants on the World Anti-Doping Agency (“WADA”) Prohibited List.

RJC88 RJ

Skye
What the heck is wrong with people??

[....]

Is it just the availability of these drugs that is making doping so much more widespread or something else about a change of attitudes or society in general? I find it very strange that someone would take these kinds of risks just to be a "local hero". Then again, a lot of Strava KOMs in my city are held by a rider that is currently serving a 2-year ban for evading a drug test after a local crit...

Skye

I have no clue what would be wrong there. Never heard of it here where I live. Maybe news to come. It's already happening in our semi-pro/amateur soccer league, so wouldn't be surprised.
Maybe it's a culture of acceptance that doesn't help? Or that it is available for people and the need to prove they are best. If they don't make it without, they go for it.

Is it possible to flag rides on Strava due to dope? :P

Skye
Skye Skye Nott
@TheStaminist   5880115

RJC88
Is it possible to flag rides on Strava due to dope? :P

Good question... it isn't an option when you flag an activity, and I don't know how Strava would check or enforce such a rule without hiring a dedicated person to just go through WADA ban records and nuking those accounts. But it does make the leaderboards awfully suspicious, even the pros acknowledge it's a problem.

I suspect it's just the easy access to the drugs that is causing the rise in use. I think it's pretty common around a lot of gyms; and if people see a shortcut that gives lots of short-term gain, they just have the kind of personality that want to be "the best" no matter what the cost or morality.

RJC88 RJ

Not really local, but there is other news in the world. The first scandal with technical doping has happened in CX racing world championship. In a U23 race a bike with a electrical drive has been discovered.

I know it's only big news where I live, since we have a lot of good cx racers. Non the less, this will unravel an other discussion on the subject if this has already been applied in other races. I say: 'here we go again' and hope this isn't as bad as the other doping.

Skye
Skye Skye Nott
@TheStaminist   5880115

Incredible, when I heard the rumours about "mechanical doping" I thought it was crazy talk, that nobody would try to do such a thing. Just goes to show how far people will go to cheat, there must be some kind of desperation in their psychology. Interesting that her brother is currently serving a ban for EPO, I guess it runs in the family. If there are any trainers, coaches, family in common with those two riders, I hope they get lifetime bans.

Skye
Skye Skye Nott
@TheStaminist   5880115

Bob Roll weighs in on the insanity that is Masters level doping.

Imagine you get caught doping at the national level, so then you set up a business selling PEDs to other athletes?

You have to wonder where these people would score on the Psychopathy Checklist.

Post a reply, start a new topic, join the conversation!

Create Account

Login

Online Users