Login Register

New high end aluminum frames

Posted April 10, 2015 06:49PM by Skye in the Cycling Forum
New high end aluminum frames
CX Gear Gravel Road

Skye
Skye Skye Nott
@TheStaminist   5880115

Looks like the CAAD 10 has some competition. Trek debuts new Emonda ALR road bike with H2 geometry, conventional center mount rim brake calipers, external cable routing, DuoTap compatibility. No word on disc brake options yet.

Can't wait to see it in person, I'm probably being picky but the external welds on aluminum frames look a little ugly to me, so with the Invisible Weld Technology on this frame it could look really good.

Haven't had a close look at the geometry but probably a little more relaxed than the race oriented CAAD.

Listed weight for ALR 5 with Shimano 105 groupset and Bontrager wheels is 8.51 kg (18.76 lbs) and MSRP probably around $2000 USD. Ultegra equipeed ALR 6 will weigh less and cost more. Frameset with carbon fork MSRP about $1000 USD.

Word on the street is the unpainted 56cm frame weighs in at 1050g pretty darn good for the price. Paint and carbon fork add 358g

Press fit bottom brackets on aluminum frame bikes like the Emonda ALR and the CAAD 10 seems weird to me, but I trust the engineers know what they're doing? Hopefully it doesn't cause problems down the line, metal and carbon don't have the same deformation characteristics.

Anyway, when these go on sale next winter it could be a heck of a bike for the price.

Webmaster - Staminist.com

Attachments

2015 Trek Emonda ALR 6.jpg 38.5 KB open | download
2015 Trek Emonda ALR 6.jpg
Trek Emonda ALR Frame.jpg 19.2 KB open | download
Trek Emonda ALR Frame.jpg

Skye
Skye Skye Nott
@TheStaminist   5880115

Yet another high end aluminum bike to be available soon... BMC Teammachine ALR01

Published frame weight 1295g and 500g for the fork
4 build levels: Ultegra, 105, Tiagra, Sora
Available in August 2015

Attachments

BMC Teammachine ALR01 Sora.jpg 37.3 KB open | download
BMC Teammachine ALR01 Sora.jpg

Skye
Skye Skye Nott
@TheStaminist   5880115

Looks like the aluminum renaissance continues, some really great bikes at very affordable prices continue to make waves.

Cannondale CAAD12 105 is named Cycling Plus' 2016 bike of the year in the $1500-2100 USD range

The 56cm review bike weighed in at 8.1 kg (17.85 lbs) and scored big in handling, responsiveness, and compliance.

This bike actually comes it at the low end of that range, it's currently $1549 on REI

Post a reply, start a new topic, join the conversation!

Create Account

Login

Online Users